The European Commission has issued a call for Expressions of Interest to become part of Horizon 2020 Expert Advisory Groups:
This is a really important, formative time as Horizon 2020 is developed. There are only 333 days until this new framework is launched!
Experts in groups of 20-30 will advise the Commission on the development of the relevant work programmes for each of a number of headings (FET, MCA, each of the societal challenges and areas of leadership in industrial and emerging technologies). While this is advice, rather than drafting the grant calls, the appropriateness of the work programme can make a significant difference to how attractive participation in them will be is to UK researchers. The UK was not represented on a number of Advisory Groups in FP7. UK Government officials are keen encourage UK stakeholders to participate.
Participation would involve a commitment to two meetings a year (which will require preparatory reading) for two years (extendable to four). Experts can express their interest as individuals (in a personal capacity or representing a general interest) or as representatives of a stakeholder organisation, such as a university.
Expertise is called for within areas listed below. Please note that the ICT area was subject to a separate call but ICT experts can still apply here.
- Future and Emerging Technologies (FET)
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions on skills, training and career development
- Research infrastructures (including e-Infrastructures)
- Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies within the following areas:
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)*1
- Advanced materials
- Advanced manufacturing and processing
- Access to risk finance (debt or equity financing)
- Innovation in small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Health, demographic change and wellbeing
- Food security, sustainable agriculture, marine and maritime research and the bio-economy
- Secure, clean and efficient energy (including nuclear energy)
- Smart, green and integrated transport
- Climate action, resource efficiency and raw materials
- Inclusive, innovative and secure societies