The ERC have created a new video outlining the process for applying for their 3 main grants – Starting, Consolidator and Advanced. It gives a great overview of how the process works and I will definitely be using it in my future training!
ERC from European Research Council on Vimeo.
UKRO have shared some information regarding the planned call dates for the 2015 European Research Council calls, as well as the indicative interview dates for applicants whose proposals are retained for step 2 of the 2014 Starting Grants call.
2015 Call Dates
UKRO understands that the 2015 ERC call publication dates are very likely to be as follows:
- Starting Grants: October 2014
- Consolidator Grants: November 2014
- Advanced Grants: February 2015
The exact dates are not yet known, however UKRO will communicate this as soon as the information becomes available. The deadlines for these three calls are expected to be the same as are stated on p.4 of the 2014 ERC Work Programme. The 2015 ERC Work Programme is expected to be published in late July 2014.
2014 Starting Grants Call Interviews
The 2014 Starting Grants call closed on 27 March 2014, and some 3272 proposals were submitted. The results for step 1 of the evaluation process are expected to be sent out in around early July 2014. For applicants whose proposals are retained for step 2, the indicative dates for the interviews with the evaluation panel in Brussels are as follows:
- Physical Sciences and Engineering (PE): 23 September to 2 October 2014
- Life Sciences (LS): 1 October to 10 October 2014
- Social Sciences and Humanities (SH): 14 October to 17 October 2014
Please note that this information is still indicative at this stage, and could still change.
UKRO have put together a PDF containing links to all the slides and other useful documents from recent ICT-related events for Horizon 2020.
You can access the document here: 140304_ict_events.pdf
To update the information already published on 18 April 2013, the ERC Scientific Council have disclosed some supplementary information.
The following updated calendar represents the latest planning, but may be subject to change in future, for example, if there are delays in the legislative process. It is therefore provided by the ERC Scientific Council on a purely indicative basis:
- Expected publication of the provisional schedule for the new calls (ERC Work Programme 2014): December 2013
- Likely submission deadlines of new ERC calls throughout 2014:
- No calls for Synergy grants in 2014
- Starting grants; end of March 2014
- Consolidator grants; end of May 2014
- Advanced grants; end of October 2014
- Proof of Concept grants (one call with two deadlines in 2014); likely to close beginning of April 2014 and beginning of October 2014
A more detailed calendar will be communicated as soon as the ‘Horizon 2020’ programme (and the ERC annual work programme 2014) will be finally adopted.
The ERC will do its utmost to make the transition between the old and the new framework programmes as smooth as possible and to provide the necessary continuity for the research community.
No further information is available at this stage regarding the calendar, the budget or the rules of the next calls for proposals. Stay informed on the ERC website and on the Participant Portal, or sign up for the ERC News Alerts.
The ERC Scientific Council has released a statement containing an indicative scenario as to how things will work from 2014, when FP7 closes and Horizon 2020 begins.
As the EU’s Seventh Research Framework Programme (FP7) will finish at the end of this year, the main ERC calls for proposals within FP7 are now closed. The next ERC calls will be made under the future programme, ‘Horizon 2020’, that will take over from FP7 for 2014 to 2020.
However, ‘Horizon 2020’ has not yet been adopted. As is normally the case during the transition from one framework programme to another, the schedule for the next ERC calls (and ERC Work Programme) is very likely to differ from previous years.
The ERC Scientific Council has discussed the issue and, based on the current state of play, it can provide the following possible scenario on a purely indicative basis:
- Publication of the provisional schedule for the new calls (ERC Work Programme 2014), late in 2013;
- Opening and submission deadlines of new ERC calls throughout 2014: – Opening and submission deadline for Starting grants; first and second quarter of 2014 – Opening and submission deadline for Consolidator grants; second quarter of 2014 – Opening and submission deadline for Advanced grants; fourth quarter of 2014
- No further calls for Synergy grants in 2013 and 2014;
- Normal schedule for Proof of Concept grants (one call with two deadlines in 2014). Although no final decision has yet been taken by the EU, the ERC Scientific Council provides, without any commitment, this provisional information for the convenience of the scientific community.
The ERC will do its utmost to make the transition as smooth as possible and provide the necessary continuity for the research community.
No further information is available at this stage on the calendar, budget or rules of the next calls. Stay informed on the ERC website and the Participant Portal.