In Silico Drug Safety and Efficacy Symposium in Oxford.
On 21st-22nd September 2017, the “In Silico Drug Safety and Efficacy Symposium” was hosted by the Computational Cardiovascular Science team at the Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford. The event was organised in the context of the “In Silico human drug safety and efficacy” project, funded by the National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement & Reduction of Animals in Research, and additionally supported by the UK QSP Network, the Wellcome Trust and the University of Oxford.
The number of delegates reached almost 100, a perfect size that allowed both an easy networking with key experts on the field and a good overview of current trends on scientific disciplines, experimental approaches and regulatory perspectives involved on drug safety and efficacy. The programme covered one day and a half of presentations and discussions, meals and a social dinner event, which allowed the attendees to discuss ideas and collaborative alliances with the key stakeholders.
The symposium demonstrated the significant development and uptake that in silico methodologies are experiencing in their application to drug safety and efficacy. All key players in the field, including representatives from industry, academia, hospitals and regulatory agencies, presented their latest advances and perspectives on the use of in silico modelling to investigate cardiotoxicity, cardiac contractility or drug safety.
The full program of the event can be found here:
Confirmed participants included:
- Abbvie: Dr. Gary Gintant.
- Amgen: Dr. Yang Liu, Dr. Yusheng Qu, Dr. Hugo Vargas.
- AnaBios Corporation: Dr. Najah Abi Gerges.
- Biotrial: Dr. Matthew Konneh.
- Chugai Pharma Europe Ltd: Dr. Keith Jones.
- Clyde Biosciences Ltd: Prof. Godfrey Smith.
- Eli Lilly and Company: Dr. Derek Leishman.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc: Dr. Gareth Lewis.
- Janssen Research and Development: Dr. Ivan Kopljar, Dr. Hua Rong Lu.
- Lipz: Mr. Philippe Zitoun.
- Merck Research Laboratories: Dr. Pierre Morissette, Dr. Frederick Sannajust.
- Pfizer: Dr. David C. Ackley, Mr. Todd Wisialowski.
- QT Informatics: Dr. Mark Davies.
- UCB-Biopharma SPR: Dr. Annie Delaunois.
- Vala Sciences Inc: Dr. Patrick McDonough, Dr. Jeff Price.
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center: Dr. Jazmin Aguado-Sierra.
- Barts Heart Centre: Prof. Andrew Tinker.
- Brunel University London: Dr. Luigi Margiotta-Casaluci.
- David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA: Dr. Zhen Song.
- Georgia Institute of Technology: Prof. Flavio H. Fenton.
- Gregorio Marañón Hospital: Dr. Andreu Climent.
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai: Prof. Eric Sobie.
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology: Dr. Axel Loewe.
- King's College London: Dr. Martin Bishop, Dr. Philip Gemmell, Dr. Steven Niederer.
- Polytechnic University of Valencia: Prof. Javier Saiz, Dr. Beatriz Trenor.
- Queensland University of Technology: Dr. Brodie Lawson.
- Simula Research Laboratory: Dr. Valentina Carapella, Dr. Bernardo Lino de Oliveira, Ms. Marcia Vagos.
- St George's University Hospitals, NHS Foundation Trust: Dr. Belinda Gray.
- Swansea University: Prof. Christopher George.
- Tampere University of Technology: Prof. Jari Hyttinen, Dr. Michelangelo Paci.
- The French National Institute for Computer Science and applied mathematics: Dr. Jean-Frédéric Gerbeau, Dr. Mark Potse.
- The George Washington University, USA: Prof. Emilia Entcheva, Ms. Aleks Klimas.
- University College London: Mr. Carlos Ledezma, Prof. Peter Taggart.
- University Heart Center Freiburg, Bad Krozingen: Dr. Gunnar Seeman.
- University of Bologna: Ms. Francesca Margara, Dr. Stefano Severi.
- University of California Davis: Dr. Eleonora Grandi, Ms. Divya Kernik.
- University of Glasgow: Dr. Cherry Alexander, Dr. Francis Burton, Prof. Godfrey Smith.
- University of Leeds: Dr. Al Benson, Dr. Michael Colman.
- University of Manchester: Prof. Henggui Zhang.
- University of Nottingham: Dr. Gary Mirams.
- University of Oxford: Ms. Patricia Benito, Ms. Karen Barnes, Ms. Louise Bowler, Dr. Oliver Britton, Ms. Connor Broyles, Dr. Alfonso Bueno-Orovio, Mr. Julià Camps, Dr. Michael Clerx, Dr. Mathew Daniels, Mr. Chon Lei, Dr. Francesc Levrero, Ms. Aurore Lyon, Ms. Polina Mamoshina, Mr. Peter Marinov, Mr. Héctor Martinez, Ms. Beth McMillan, Dr. Ana Minchole, Dr. Elisa Passini, Dr. Joe Pitt-Francis, Prof. Blanca Rodriguez, Mr. Cristian Trovato, Mr. Jakub Tomek, Dr. Ernesto Zacur, Dr. Xin Zhou.
- University of Sheffield: Prof. Richard H. Clayton.
- University of Surrey: Dr. Patrizia Camelliti.
- University of Szeged: Prof. Andras Varro.
- University of the Basque Country: Dr. Oscar Casis, Dr. Monica Gallego.
- University of Virginia: Prof. Jeff Saucerman.
- University of Zaragoza: Dr. Esther Pueyo.
- Washington University St Louis: Prof. Yoram Rudy.
- Weill Cornell Medicine: Prof. David Christini.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Dr. Sara Dutta.
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency: Dr. David R Jones.
- The Nacional Centre for the Replacement, Refinement & Reduction of Animals in Research: Dr. Kate Harris, Dr. Helen Prior.
- The Health and Environmental Sciences Institute (HESI) Global: Ms. Jennifer Pearson.