Office: Room 306, Wolfson Building, Parks Road,
Oxford OX1 3QD
Dr. Jiaoyan Chen is a Senior Researcher at Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford
and a member of Data and Knowledge Group, reporting to Prof. Ian Horrocks.
He was previously a PostDoctoral Researcher in GIScience in Heidelberg University. Jiaoyan got his Ph.D in Computer Science and Technology in Zhejiang University, supervised by Prof. Zhaohui Wu and Prof. Huajun Chen. He was also a visiting student of Zurich University, supervised by Prof. Daning Hu. Jiaoyan got his Bachelor degree in Computer Science and Technology in Zhejiang University.
Knowledge Graph, Semantic Web, Transfer and Zero-shot Learning, Neuro-Symbolic AI
- Jiaoyan is now working on knowledge graph construction and curation with a combination of semantic reasoning and deep learning techniques, including 1) ontology embedding, 2) knowledge construction from tabular data and knowledge graph integration; 3) knowledge graph curation such as completion, error detection and correction.
These works are/were parts of the AIDA project of the Alan Turing Institute, the "Knowledge Graph Construction for Personalisation” project funded by Samsung Research UK, and the EPSRC "ConCur: Knowledge Graph Construction and Curation" project (EP/V050869/1). Jiaoyan is a co-PI of ConCur which was funded in 2021 with 1.1M GBP.
Jiaoyan is involved in the data science program of SIRIUS in University of Oslo in collaboration with Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz and Erik B. Myklebus. Jiaoyan is also in active collaboration with the NLP and KG group of Tencent Jarvis Lab.
- The knowledge graph construction and curation projects involve new Neuro-Symbolic technqies for challenges such as the sample shortage and the subsymbolic representtion of logics. Jiaoyan has been working on relevant techniques including OWL ontology embedding, knowledge driven zero-shot and transfer learning, and machine learning explanation. External collaborators include Huajun Chen, Yuxia Geng and Zhuo Chen from Zhejiang University, Jeff Z. Pan from The University of Edinburgh and so on.
- Editor Board of Journal of Web Semantics and Data Intelligence Journal.
- Guest Editor of the JoWS special issue "Automating Knowledge Graph Construction".
- Organization of SemTab: Semantic Web Challenge on Tabular Data to Knowledge Graph Matching which is in conjunction with International Semantic Web Conference.
- Co-chair of Semantic Web Challenge Chair of ISWC'21.
- PC/SPC of IJCAI, AAAI, ISWC, WWW, ACL, ECML-PKDD, CIKM, OM, NeSy, CCKS, etc.
- Enterprise Fellow of MPLS Division of University of Oxford, 2019-2020
- Yuxia Geng, Jiaoyan Chen, Zhuo Chen, Jeff Z. Pan, Zonggan Yuan and Huajun Chen. "K-ZSL: Resources for Knowledge-driven Zero-shot Learning", Resources. Github/Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Ian Horrocks, Xi Chen and Erik B. Myklebust. "Correcting Assertions and Alignments of Large Scale Knowledge Bases", 2021, Semantic Web Journal. (accepted) Pre-print
- Zhiyuan Qi, Ziheng Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Yefeng Zheng. "PRASEMap: A Probabilistic Reasoning and Semantic Embedding based Knowledge Graph Alignment System". CIKM, Demo, 2021.Paper,Codes,PRASEMap Demo
- Zhuo Chen, Jiaoyan Chen, Yuxia Geng, Jeff Z. Pan, Zonggan Yuan and Huajun Chen. "Zero-shot Visual Question Answering usingKnowledge Graphs", ISWC, 2021. (New!)
- Jiaoyan Chen, Yuxia Geng, Zhuo Chen, Ian Horrocks, Jeff Z. Pan and Huajun Chen. "Knowledge-aware Zero-shot Learning: Survey and Perspective". IJCAI Survey Track, 2021. Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Pan Hu, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Ole Magnus Holter, Denvar Antonyrajah and Ian Horrocks. "OWL2Vec*: Embedding of OWL Ontologies". Machine Learning 110.7 (2021): 1813-1845. Github,Paper
- Zhiyuan Qi, Ziheng Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Yuejia Xiang, Ningyu Zhang, Yefeng Zheng. "Unsupervised Knowledge Graph Alignment by Probabilistic Reasoning and Semantic Embedding". IJCAI, 2021.Paper,Codes,PRASEMap Demo
- Yuejia Xiang, Ziheng Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Zhenxi Lin and Yefeng Zheng. "OntoEA: Ontology-guided Entity Alignment via Joint Knowledge Graph Embedding". Findings of ACL, 2021.Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Ian Horrocks, Denvar Antonyrajah, Ali Hadian and Jaehun Lee. "Augmenting Ontology Alignment by SemanticEmbedding and Distant Supervision". ESWC, 2021 (Best Paper Nominee). Github/Paper
- Yuxia Geng, Jiaoyan Chen, Zhuo Chen, Jeff Z. Pan, etc. "OntoZSL: Ontology-enhanced Zero-shot Learning". The Web Conference (WWW), 2021. With case studies on both image classification and KG completion.Paper,Data and Codes
- Jiaoyan Chen, Freddy Lecue, Jeff Z. Pan, Shumin Deng, Huajun Chen. "Knowledge Graph Embeddings for Dealing with Concept Drift in Machine Learning". Journal of Web Semantics 67 (2021): 100625. Paper
- Ian Horrocks, Jiaoyan Chen and Jaehun Lee. "Tool Support for Ontology Design and Quality Assurance". ICBO 2020 Integrated Food Ontology Workshop (IFOW). Paper
- Ziheng Zhang, Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Hualuo Liu, Yuejia Xiang, Bo Liu and Yefeng Zhang. "An Industry Evaluation of Embedding-based Entity Alignment". The 28th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING'2020), Industry Track. Data,Paper,Video
- Jiaoyan Chen, Freddy Lecue, Yuxia Geng, Jeff Z. Pan and Huajun Chen. "Ontology-guided Semantic Composition for Zero-Shot Learning", KR 2020 -- Special Session KR and Machine Learning Paper,Video
- Yuxia Geng, Jiaoyan Chen, Zhiquan Ye, Wei Zhang and Huajun Chen. "Explainable Zero-shot Learning via Attentive Graph Convolutional Network and Knowledge Graphs" Semantic Web Journal, accepted in 2020 (to publish). Paper
- Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz, Oktie Hassanzadeh, Vasilis Efthymiou, Jiaoyan Chen and Kavitha Srinivas. "SemTab 2019: Resources to Benchmark Tabular Data to Knowledge Graph Matching Systems." ESWC 2020. Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Xi Chen, Ian Horrocks, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz and Erik B. Myklebus. "Correcting Knowledge Base Assertions." The Web Conference (WWW) 2020. Paper Github
- Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz, Asan Agibetov, Jiaoyan Chen, Matthias Samwald and Valerie Cross. "Dividing the Ontology Alignment Task with Semantic Embeddings and Logic-based Modules." the 24th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI) 2020.
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz and Ian Horrocks. "Canonicalizing Knowledge Base Literals." International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2019. Paper Github
- Erik B. Myklebust, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz, Jiaoyan Chen, Raoul Wolf, Knut Erik Tollefsen. "Knowledge Graph Embedding for Ecotoxicological Effect Prediction." International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2019. In-Use Track Best Student Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz, Ian Horrocks, and Charles Sutton. "Learning Semantic Annotations for Tabular Data." IJCAI 2019. Github Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz, Ian Horrocks, and Charles Sutton. "ColNet: Embedding the Semantics of Web Tables for Column Type Prediction." AAAI 2019. Github
- Jiaoyan Chen, Freddy Lécué, Jeff Z. Pan, Ian Horrocks, and Huajun Chen. "Knowledge-based Transfer Learning Explanation." KR 2018. Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Yan Zhou, Alexander Zipf and Hongchao Fan. "Deep Learning from Multiple Crowds: A Case Study of Humanitarian Mapping." IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 57 (3), 1713-1722, 2018. (Project DeepVGI in University of Heidelberg, see more)
- Jiaoyan Chen, Freddy Lécué, Jeff Z. Pan, and Huajun Chen. "Learning from ontology streams with semantic concept drift." IJCAI 2017. Paper
- Jiaoyan Chen, Huajun Chen, Zhaohui Wu, Daning Hu, and Jeff Z. Pan. "Forecasting smog-related health hazard based on social media and physical sensor." Information Systems 64 (2017): 281-291.
See Google Scholar.
Selective Invited Talks and Guest Lectures
- "Knowledge Graph Construction, Curation and Its Machine Learning Applications". 2021年江苏省研究生地理大数据与空间智能暑期学校(Summer School on Big Geo Data and AI for Graduate Student, Jiangsu Province, 2021), online, China. 08/2021. Slide
- "Knowledge-driven Zero-shot Learning". Conference on "Data Intelligence and Knowledge Service" organized by the Data Intelligence journal. Hybrid (online and Nanjing), China. 07/2021. Slide
- "Knowledge Graph Curation with Deep Learning and Semantic Reasoning". Tencent Technology, Shenzhen, China, 10/2019. Slide
- "Knowledge Graph Curation with Deep Learning and Semantic Reasoning". Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China, 10/2019.
- "Knowledge Graph Curation with Deep Learning". Southeast University, Nanjing, China, 08/2019
- “Augmenting Machine Learning with Knowledge Base”, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK, 01/2018 (Invited Lecture to the course of CS551J Knowledge Representation and Reasoning by Jeff Z. Pan)