The Wellcome Trust have announced they are changing their funding framework in order to enhance their ability to support excellent research, make an even greater impact on health, and provide opportunities for talented researchers at whatever career stage to find funding. Improvements include a new funding mechanism for collaborative research by teams, and the introduction of seed grants to support researchers who want to develop original and innovative ideas.
The most significant changes to the funding framework include:
- A new scheme for collaborative research, to support groups led by multiples researchers in pursuing key questions.These are designed to allow multiple researchers to come together, ideally from different disciplines, to work towards solutions which are more than the sum of their parts.
- A new scheme for seed funding to support original and innovative ideas, with a view to enabling researchers to move towards a larger research application.
- Current “New Investigator” and “Senior Investigator” Award schemes are merging into a single “Investigator” Award scheme. All candidates will be considered according to their career stage and experience to date.
- Increased opportunities for research leaders of the future through our established schemes of Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships and Sir Henry Dale Fellowships.
- New schemes to encourage the development of portfolios of translational research projects and sustained excellence in public engagement.
A webinar explaining the new changes, how they will be implemented, and what effect they will have is being held on 12th December 2014.