Computer Animation: 2009-2010
Assessment will be by a take-home mini-project.
There will be four practicals. The fourth will be linked to the mini-project, completed over the Easter vacation, and demonstrated at the start of Trinity Term.
- Basics of key-frame animation.
- Use of a modern software package for animation.
- Use of animation and simulation in other domains.
- Principles of collision detection and response.
- Skill extension through mini-project.
No specific pre-requisites, other than familiarity with basic operations on matrices and vectors. Basic knowledge of 3D transformations is useful (e.g., from the Computer Graphics course), but not essential. Rigid-body dynamics will be covered, for which some earlier experience would be useful.
- Introduction. Traditional animation. Use of computer animation. 
- 2. Scene Composition. Revision of rigid-body transformations (notes provided for those who haven't seen this before in, e.g., computer graphics). Information required to render rigid objects. Transformation chains. Scene graphs. Scene description languages. 
- Basic animation. Time-varying transformations. Interpolation and interpolation functions. Use of quarternions for smooth rotation interpolation. 
- Frame-based animation. Use of the Blender program. 
- Moving the camera. Animation tricks. 
- Collision detection and response. Dealing with simple geometries. The GJK algorithm. Dealing with large scenes. Physical response models. 
- Challenges and the future of computer animation. 
SyllabusBasic ideas of scene composition in 3D. Time-varying scenes; animation; animation frames and interpolation. Use of cameras. Animation tricks. Other uses of animation and simulation. Collision detection and response. Advanced topics. Challenges and the future.
Reading listCourse text
- Computer Animation: Algorithms and Techniques ISBN: 1558605797 Rick Parent 45 GBP (31 Amazon)
- The Official Blender 2.3 Guide ISBN: 1593270410 Tony Roosendaal 34 GBP (23 Amazon)
- Character Animation in 3D ISBN: 0240516656 Steve Roberts 25 GBP (More basic (non-computer) animation)
- Introducing Character Animation with Blender ISBN: 0470102608 Tony Mullen 27 GBP (18 Amazon)
- Collision Detection in Interactive 3D Environments ISBN: 155860801X Gino van den Bergen 44 GBP (28 Amazon)