General graphics projects
I am interested in supervising general projects in the area of computer graphics. If you have a particular area of graphics-related research that you are keen to explore then we can tailor a bespoke project for you. Specific projects I have supervised in the past include
- "natural tree generation" which involved using Lindenmayer systems to grow realistic looking bushes and trees to be rendered in a scene;
- "procedural landscape generation" in which an island world could be generated on-the-fly using a set of simple rules as a user explored it;
- "gesture recognition" where a human could control a simple interface using hand-gestures;
- "parallel ray-tracing" on distributed-memory clusters and using multiple threads on a GPU card;
- "radiosity modelling" used for analysing the distribution of RFID radio signal inside a building; and
- "non-photorealistic rendering" where various models were rendered with toon/cel shaders and a set of pencil-sketch shaders.
MSc students should note that in order for this option to work as a potential MSc project then it should be combined with a taught-course topic such as machine learning, concurrent programming, linguistics etc.