Skip to main content

DPhil Student - Students on Tier4 Visas

Attendance Monitoring

We have to report on attendance and progress of all students studying on a Tier 4 visa ten times per year.

Three of these will be termly registrations, three will be from GSS reports and the remainder will be from a combination of supervisors confirming they have met with you, submission of transfer and confirmation applications and submission of thesis depending on your year of study.

Renewing your Student Visa

If your student visa expires before you submit or have your viva you will need to apply for a new visa and be issued with a new CAS number. Please contact the Graduate Studies Administrator well in advance of you needing this.

Tier4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

From 6 April 2013 the UK Border Agency has introduced a new scheme that allows students who are nearing completion of a PhD (DPhil) to apply for a 12 month period under Tier 4 to look for and undertake work. You will be able to work full-time under this scheme. As part of the scheme you will also continue to be sponsored by the University during the 12 months, or until you apply for another visa, and you will need to report to us at regular intervals by email to confirm you continue to require our sponsorship.

If you wish to apply, the University must issue you with a new CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number with an 'anticipated end date' and you must apply for a visa extension before this date i.e. before you complete your DPhil. As each student will have different circumstances and a different time schedule you should read these instructions very carefully and take special note of the timeframes involved.