My work revolves around string diagrams, which are graphical representation of processes.
More specifically, this consists of the following activities:
- Defining new classes of diagrams and proving soundness and completeness with respect to a particular algebraic structure. I have worked on this for bimonoidal categories;
- Studying the word problem for such diagrams. This consists in finding algorithms to determine whether two diagrams represent the same process. Depending on the sort of string diagrams that one considers, this problem can be easy, probably hard or even known to be undecidable. I have worked on this problem for monoidal categories, symmetric monoidal categories, double categories and braided monoidal categories so far;
- Using these diagrams to prove new results, for instance on the free generation of adjoints in a monoidal categories, which has applications in linguistics, or to obtain a syntax for dataflow programs.
Currently, I am on a one-year leave from the DPhil to work on OpenRefine, an open source tool to normalize tabular data. This work is inspired from a categorical model I have developed for it, which makes it possible to rearrange and reason about data transformation workflows.
Other open source projects can be found on my GitHub profile.
- I do not submit papers to closed-access publications. I do not review for these either. Join me by taking the pledge:
- I am concerned by the climate crisis and have signed the Pledge for sustainable research in theoretical computer science. I avoid flying for this reason.
- Antonin Delpeuch, A survey of OpenRefine reconciliation services, Fifteenth International Workshop on Ontology Matching (2020). arXiv:1906.08092
- Antonin Delpeuch, The word problem for double categories, Theory and Applications of Categories, Vol. 35, 2020, No. 1, pp 1-18. arXiv:1907.09927
- Antonin Delpeuch, A complete language for faceted dataflow programs, Applied Category Theory 2019, DOI: 10.4204/EPTCS.323.1, arXiv:1906.05937
- Antonin Delpeuch, Autonomization of monoidal categories, Applied Category Theory 2019, DOI: 10.4204/EPTCS.323.3, arXiv:1411.3827
- Antonin Delpeuch and Jamie Vicary, Normal forms for planar connected string diagrams, Workshop on Higher Dimensional Rewriting and Applications, FLOC, Oxord, 7 July 2018, arXiv:1804.07832
- Antonin Delpeuch, Complexity of Grammar Induction for Quantum Types,Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science. Vol. 172. Pages 236–248. December, 2014. DOI 10.4204/eptcs.172.16, arXiv:1404.3925
- Antonin Depleuch, Type-driven distributional semantics for prepositional phrase attachment, Master's thesis at the University of Cambridge, DOI:10.5281/zenodo.1299049
- Antonin Delpeuch and Anne Preller, From Natural Language to RDF Graphs with Pregroups, In Proceedings of the EACL 2014 Workshop on Type Theory and Natural Language Semantics (TTNLS). Pages 55–62. Gothenburg‚ Sweden. April, 2014. Association for Computational Linguistics. DOI 10.3115/v1/w14-1407
- Revamping OpenRefine: a reproducible data wrangler, FOSDEM'20, Open Research Tools & Technologies track, Brussels, 1 February 2020 (video)
- The reconciliation API: a protocol for online data matching, AKSW Seminar, Leipzig, 10 January 2020
- Unknotting knots in braided monoidal categories, Postgraduate Conference in Category Theory and Its Applications, University of Leicester, 18-19 November 2019
- The word problem for double categories, Theory group seminar, University of Birmingham, 4 October 2019
- Décider l'égalité de diagrammes de cordes (Decidability of equality for string diagrams), Catégories supérieures, polygraphes et homotopie, IRIF, Université Paris 7, 6 April 2018
- Schema alignment for Wikibase in OpenRefine, Harnessing open data for Monitoring and Evaluation workshop, European Research Council Executive Agency, Berlin, 17-19 June 2018
- 29th Computer Science Logic conference, reviewer
- 28th Computer Science Logic conference, reviewer
- 5th Symposium on Compositional Structures and 3rd Workshop on String Diagrams in Computation, Logic and Physics, PC member
- 3rd Symposium on Compositional Structures, PC member and local organizer
- 14th International Workshop on Coalgebraic Methods in Computer Science, reviewer
- 1st Symposium on Compositional Structures, reviewer
I started my DPhil in October 2016, under the supervision of Jamie Vicary.
Before that, I studied at École Normale Supérieure, in Paris. For my masters degree in mathematical logic and foundations of computer science, I took a research placement at the University of Ljubljana where I worked with Alex Simpson on algorithmic randomness and point-free topology.
The Word Problem for Double Categories
In arXiv:1907.09927 [cs‚ math]. July, 2019.
Autonomization of Monoidal Categories
In Proceedings of Applied Category Theory 2019. July, 2019.
A Complete Language for Faceted Dataflow Programs
In arXiv:1906.05937 [Cs‚ Math]. Oxford. June, 2019.