Rui Soares Barbosa
Rui Miguel de Sousa Martinho Soares Barbosa
Student, Wolfson College
Wolfson Building, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QD
Broadly speaking, I am interested in the foundations of Physics, particularly of quantum mechanics and quantum information/computation.
My current research focuses on the following two topics:
- The study of non-locality and contextuailty (and other related concepts) in general empirical models, concretely using the sheaf-theoretic framework developed by Abramsky and Bradenburger for generalised (non-signalling) probabilistic theories. On recent work, I looked at the emergence of macroscopic locality and monogamy of Bell inequalities.
- The topos approach to quantum theory initiated by Isham, Butterfield and Döring, which seeks a reformulation of QM using presheaf topoi to capture all the different classical perspectives into a quantum system. I'm particularly interested in the spectral presheaf as an analogue of state space for noncommutative algebras, and the connections with the covariant version of the approach.
Despite the different goals and purposes of each of these lines of research, they share both some motivational and technical characteristics, in regarding contextuality as a fundamental feature of quantum mechanics and in using the language of (pre)sheaves to study a system through its 'classical perspectives' (sets of compatible/commuting observables).
- Licenciatura (BSc) in Computer Science
- Departments of Mathematics and Informatics, Universidade do Minho, Braga.
- Spring 2009
- Semester (under the Erasmus programme)
- at Center for Software Technology, Utrecht Universiteit
- MSc in Mathematics and the Foundations of Compter Science (aka MFoCS)
- Mathematical Institute and Computing Laboratory, University of Oxford
- My thesis supervisor was Andreas Döring.
- DPhil student at the Comlab, under the supervision of Samson Abramsky and Andreas Döring.
- Associated with the MALOA project.
The Cohomology of Non−Locality and Contextuality
Samson Abramsky‚ Shane Mansfield and Rui S. Barbosa
In Proceedings of Quantum Physics and Logic 2011‚ to appear in Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science. 2011.
Unsharp Values‚ Domains and Topoi
Andreas Döring and Rui Soares Barbosa
In Felix Finster‚ Olaf Müller‚ Marc Nardmann‚ Jürgen Tolksdorf and Eberhard Zeidler, editors, Quantum Field Theory and Gravity. Pages 65−96. Springer Basel. 2011.