Dr. rer. pol. Boris Motik
Senior Research Fellow, Somerville College
+44 (0)1865 283544
+44 (0)1865 273839 (fax)
Room 308, Wolfson Building, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QD
I am interested in developing algorithms and techniques necessary for realizing advanced applications in the Semantic Web. In particular, my research is focused around the ontology language OWL — an ontology language with firm theoretical roots in the description logic (DL) family of knowledge representation formalisms. I developed theoretical foundations for various extensions of DLs and OWL, such as an integrity constraint language, integration with various rule-based formalisms, and constructs for the representation of arbitrarily connected structures. I have also been working on proof-theoretic aspects of DLs and OWL, and have so far implemented two reasoners for OWL.
- In my PhD, I developed algorithms for reasoning in OWL by reusing database technologies. I implemented these techniques in the KAON2 reasoner. The German company ontoprise GmbH is currently using KAON2 in a commercial setting.
- Recently, I have been working on a new reasoner HermiT. This reasoner is based on a novel reasoning algorithm based on hypertableau, which allows HermiT to process certain ontologies that have traditionally been quite "hard".
Publicationscomplete list with downloadable papers
Before coming to Oxford, I worked in the Information Management Group, School of Computer Science, University of Manchester. I got my PhD from the University of Karlsruhe under supervision of Prof. Rudi Studer. While in Karlsruhe, Germany, I was employed at the Research Center for Information Technologies (FZI). I speak English, German, and Croatian, so feel free to send me e-mails in any of these languages.
- The 2013 Roger Needham award by the British Computer Society (BCS) for "a distinguished research contribution in computer science"
- Selected as one of "2008 AI's 10 to Watch" by the IEEE Intelligent Systems magazine
- The 2007 Cor Baayen award by the European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) for "a most promising young researcher in computer science and applied mathematics"
- Best Paper at the 2005 International Semantic Web Conference for my paper "On the Properties of Metamodeling in OWL"
Technology Transfer Projects with Industry Partners
- For ExperienceOn, a start-up in Barcelona, Spain, I am developing an ontology-based data store that is powering their multilingual Fogg search engine: Fogg UK and Fogg ES.
- For Samsung, I am developing a lightweight ontology-based data store that can support intelligent applications on mobile devices.
- With BAE Systems I am working on issues related to ontology-based data integration.
- With EDF Energy I am working on an ontology-based recommender system helping customers save energy.