I work on the application and analysis of numerical/computational schemes for partial differential equations. Of major interest is the development of reliable, practical and efficient finite element schemes for modelling mathematical models arising from physical and biological phenomena. Current fields of interest include:
- Multiphysics interaction within the heart and lungs.
- Numerical solvers for cardiac bidomian equations.
- Computational multiscale lung models.
- Stochastic differential equations for ion channel dynamics.
- Numerical models for cell movement.
- Numerical analysis and finite element analysis.
My Google scholar page is here.
D. Phil. Funding available: If you are interested in postgraduate research within my field of research please contact me. Funding and scholarship opportunities available within the department can be found at this web page. Alternative funding opportunities can be found at the DTC website www.dtc.ox.ac.uk for details.
- Richard Welford (Sussex, 2006).
- Alex Tomasi (Sussex, 2008).
- Matthew McCormick jointly supervised with Prof N. Smith (Oxford, 2012).
- Brody Foy jointly supervised with Dr Rafel Bordas (Oxford 2018)
- Quentin Parsons jointly supervised with Prof A. Muench (Oxford 2019)
I obtained a first class degree in Mathematics and a PhD in Numerical Analysis from Leicester University in 1992 and 1997, respectively. During 1996-1998 I worked as a postdoctoral researcher at UMIST. This was followed by a Postdoctoral position at Oxford University until 1999. In 1999 I became a University Lecturer in Mathematics at the University of Sussex. In the summer of 2007 I was appointed to my current position of University Lecturer in Computational Biology at Oxford University.
Away from academic live I enjoy playing and coaching football. I am currently a coach at Mansfield Road Junior Football Club.
Lung computational models and the role of the small airways in asthma
Brody H Foy‚ Marcia Soares‚ Rafel Bordas‚ Matthew Richardson‚ Alex Bell‚ Amisha Singapuri‚ Beverley Hargadon‚ Christopher Brightling‚ Kelly Burrowes‚ David Kay and others
A Computationally Tractable Scheme for Simulation of the Human Pulmonary System
Brody H Foy and David Kay
Functional CT imaging for identification of the spatial determinants of small−airways disease in adults with asthma
Alex J Bell‚ Brody H Foy‚ Matthew Richardson‚ Amisha Singapuri‚ Evgeny Mirkes‚ Maarten van den Berge‚ David Kay‚ Chris Brightling‚ Alexander N Gorban‚ Craig J Galbán and others