General research interests: security and privacy in wireless networks, wireless sensor networks, future air traffic control communication, crowdsourcing, UAV, ADS-B, ACARS, and more generally all wireless technologies used in aviation, navigation and critical infrastructures. Recently, I have also been interested in privacy issues in complex global systems such as aviation, open source intelligence, and data mining.
News:We are excited to announce the 7th OpenSky Workshop in Zurich on November 21/22! After the previous successful iterations, we are this year calling for presentations and short papers from the whole OpenSky community.
Martin Strohmeier (PGP key) is a Junior Research Fellow of Kellogg College, University of Oxford and a Scientific Project Manager at the Swiss Cyber Defense Campus. His main research interests are currently in the area of network security, including wireless sensor networks and critical infrastructure protection. During his DPhil at Oxford, he has extensively analyzed the security and privacy of wireless aviation technologies of this generation and the next . His work predominantly focuses on developing cyber-physical approaches which can improve the security of air traffic control quickly and efficiently. He is also a co-founder of the aviation research network OpenSky. Before coming to Oxford in 2012, he received his MSc degree from TU Kaiserslautern, Germany and joined Lancaster University's InfoLab21 and Lufthansa AG as a visiting researcher.
Recent Professional Activities
- 7th OpenSky Workshop (OpenSky 2019), General Chair
- International Workshop on Cyber Security for Intelligent Transportation Systems (CSITS 2019), TPC member
- 38th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC 2019), Co-Chair of Security Track
- 15th EAI International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks (SECURECOMM 2019), TPC member
- CPS-IoT Week 2019, Aircraft Localization Competition, Organizer
- 10th IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility & Security (NTMS 2019), TPC member
- 5th ACM Cyber-Physical System Security Workshop (CPSS 2019), TPC member
- 6th OpenSky Workshop (OpenSky 2018), Technical Programme Committee Chair
- The 8th ACM Conference on Security and Privacy in Wireless and Mobile Networks (ACM WiSec 2015), Publication Chair
Previous TPC Memberships
Undermining Privacy in the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS)
Matthew Smith‚ Daniel Moser‚ Martin Strohmeier‚ Ivan Martinovic and Vincent Lenders
In 18th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS 2018). Barcelona. July, 2018.
The Real First Class? Inferring Confidential Corporate Mergers and Government Relations from Air Traffic Communication
Martin Strohmeier‚ Matthew Smith‚ Vincent Lenders and Ivan Martinovic
In IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy (EuroS&P) 2018. IEEE. April, 2018.
On Perception and Reality in Wireless Air Traffic Communication Security
Martin Strohmeier‚ Matthias Schäfer‚ Rui Pinheiro‚ Vincent Lenders and Ivan Martinovic
In IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. Vol. 18. No. 6. Pages 1338−1357. June, 2017.